Thursday 26 April 2018

A Stitch in Time - Part Two

Here is the second part of my visit to see A Stitch in Time Exhibition at Ham House. You can look here if you want to see the first three garments.

What I forgot to say last time was that one of the things that most appealled to me about this programme was that everything was handstitched. When I did my City and Guild Fashion course I had one wonderful teacher, who admitted that she hated handstitching. She would show us ways to do almost everything using a machine - right down to sewing on buttons. But I am the opposite, I actually like doing a bit of handwork. (I think it is why I picked to sew a smocked blouse, and do some hand beadwork by hand on my African skirt. It is perhaps why I knit small items with quite a bit of sewing up, part of the process that a know lots of knitters loathe.)

Anyway I have slightly wandered off topic. Back to the exhibition.


This first one was probably my favourite of the garments, but my photo does not seem to have captured it well. The painting is of Dido Belle, the 18th-century daughter of an enslaved African woman who was brought up at Kenwood House in London.


The next garment is the only one where the inspiration does not start with a painting, but Amber visits the tomb of the Edward the Black Prince in Canterbury Cathedral. She also gets to look at the garment, called a jupon, which is kept under wraps now, but was hung on display in the cathedral for many year.


The final garment is this chemise dress of Marie Antoinette. This dress caused a scandal at the time the of the portrait, as it was not accepted for a queen to be seen in a garment made of such light cotton/muslin. I have also photographed the corsets, worn under the dress. 




https://ginxcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/ginx-woolly-linx-party-march.html

Just a reminder that although we are getting near the end of the month you can still join in my Ginx Woolly Linx party for April. Click on the photo above or at the top of the page to find the party. I would love to see what you have been working on this month.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to have attended this exhibition. Such beautiful things, and so nicely made. Like you, I enjoy handwork. After quilting by machine, I look forward to finishing a quilt's binding by hand. It's so relaxing.
    My Saturday Snapshots post is here: https://sandranachlinger.blogspot.com/2018/04/cougar-mountain-coal-creek-falls.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I'd pop in, haven't heard from you in awhile. Very interesting exhibit. Having recently watched both The Crown and Victoria, it's interesting you mentioned that about the light cotton cloth. That was deemed to common was my understanding.
    Sandy's Place

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't appreciated how vibrant the reds and blues would be in the middle picture. I too like hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks like an amazing exhibit! Thanks for sharing - have a good week!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks fascinating, thanks so much for sharing so those of us who can't visit get to see too!

    ReplyDelete