Thursday 4 May 2017

"The Cupboard Was Bare ..."


I had the idea to knit a toy for our new puppy. The family scoffed. Given the rate that she is chewing through shoes, they did not think that a knitted toy would last more than a few minutes. But I was sure I knew better.

I found some wool that seemed like it will be hard-wearing, and then had a scout around ravelry to see if a bone pattern exists. Of course it does, so I downloaded Fetch! by KrisKnits and got going.


For my first bone I followed the pattern exactly. It seemed fine when I started knitting, but puppies grow very quickly (or perhaps I knit slowly), so by the time I had finished it seemed a bit small. So I had a go at a larger one, just by increasing the cast on and adding in a few more rows. And when middle bone was done I thought I might as well use the remaining wool to make a really big bone. So here are the bones hot off the needles, before being given to the dog. 


She had a huge amount of fun playing with them. She really did seem to really like them. Especially the largest one.




But annoying the family were almost right. As this picture below shows what I was left with after a day of chewing. (Don't worry I did keep a good eye on her, that she didn't eat the wool or stuffing.) Middle bone is the worse for wear, but the big bone and little bone have just about survivied. I still think it is a good idea, and might work as a more long-lasting toy if I could use string or nylon twine. So you never know I might have another go. But for the moment it is probably back to the plastic chewy toys.



13 comments:

  1. Puppies do like to chew! Your knitted bone idea was a good one, but I imagine you're right about twine or nylon cord lasting longer. That's an adorable puppy. What's her name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea and using stronger thread next time will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dog! I like the project, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, never mind people's baby pics, I need a puppy!The knitted bones are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah she is such a motivated chewer!
    I guess the idea of a nylon yarn is a good one, I'd be interested to hear if you try again and how that turns out.
    I've seen people make plaited dog toys from old t shirts, with knots at each end, I've no idea how well they stand up to a puppy though. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cuuute doggie. I like the idea of knitted bones as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bones are a great idea, even if they don't last long. At least while she's chewing them she's not chewing on anything else. Still, you're right, you'll probably need stronger yarn. Thank
    Thank you for sharing this idea at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! You kept your puppy happy and busy chewing. If you use a different yarn, I'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosie has got the market cornered on cuteness. It's great to have someone appreciate your knitting efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A shame as your dog bones look fab. I seem to remember (in the days when I wore tights) saving up all my holey ones - 9 pairs were needed. I then plaited 3 pairs together. I repeated that process twice more in sets of three. Then I plaited those 3 lots of pre-plaited tights and folded in half and twisted them and knotted the top. Voila a dog chew toy my dog loved. cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too have a puppy and thought the same thing. To make a toy for her but fear the worst knitting one. I was going to stuff mine with used panty hose. Other projects got in the way. She likes a rope. I like your bone shapes though. Really cute....puppy too.

    ReplyDelete